Tuesday, January 6, 2009

LOBSTERTAILS.BLOGSPOT.COM - 3 Post Special



Saturday, September 25, 2004
Why can't we all just have asexual friendships?
Guy-girl relationships are funny. Friends, siblings, parent-child, or romantic. They all have definite qualities. However, Familial guy girl relationships are definitely different from extra-familial, but still they've got some of the same characteristics. Ok, lets talk extra-familial for now. Why must there always be a sexual tension? There are the occasional relationships where its not as apparent, but still there. Take my friend Matt and I. We're great friends, and absolutely nothing more. He's rather metrosexual and has a girlfriend Jane. He's a great friend to chat with, shop with, decorate with and pretend to be fashionistas with and no chance of him and I hooking up. But still, there's always this underlying remote fear that we're not on the same page as far as the non-potential of "us", even though chances are we always are. There's always going to be this process of finding and maintaining a happy equilibrium of great friends but nothing more. Then of course there are those friendships that do have the potential to blossom into something more. These are the really frustrating ones. And more often than not, they're more one-sided than we'd like. These are the friendships that require a lot of effort, but not in the typical way. They require effort to remain friends, and not let your view of that person change into something romantic. This is (at least I suspect) probably more difficult for the ladies to do than the guys, well especially if you somewhat abide by the guy pursues girl mentality. So how do we remedy ourselves of this predicament? Do we just cut off friendships with the opposite sex that could potentially turn into something else? No, because then you just miss out on so much more. Do you pretend like the potential isn't there? Does an equilibrium exist? at least one that can be reasonably attained. Or are some people just destined not to be friends b/c there's too much attraction for a friendship, but not enough of the right ingredients for this elusive "relationship"? But then again, why bother thinking about it anyway? I suppose it'll just end up frustrating the ponderer. Ok, good by me.

posted by Libby @ 8:52 PM 3 comments

Friday, September 24, 2004
QUASH
Today's word of the day

quash \KWOSH\, transitive verb:
1. (Law) To abate, annul, overthrow, or make void; as, "to quash an indictment."
2. To crush; to subdue; to suppress or extinguish summarily and completely; as, "to quash a rebellion."

In a sentence:
My math professor has officially quashed my chances of keeping my scholarship and going to Scotland.

So tell me, how is it that one can not only regularly attend class, but participate in the discussions, do the homework faithfully, understand the material, do well on the quizzes and is somehow completely incapable of doing any of the review exercises for the midterm? Well I'm not sure, but it has certainly quashed any desire of mine to continue to try.

posted by Libby @ 10:35 AM 0 comments

Thursday, September 23, 2004
Libby and the Lobster
So why "Lobster Tails"? Well I can completely contribute this one to Isaac, my dear friend since who knows when. When we were in high school (I was in my jr. year and he in his Sr. year) I was dating a guy with the last name Sandwich. Yes, Sandwich believe it or not. Anyhow, Isaac in his extensive creativity related that Libster (my nickname at the time) sounds like Lobster. And, if I had married this Sandwich guy, they could call me "Lobster Sandwich". Well I was fortunate enough to have Isaac share his epiphany with me in front of an audience of several other of our friends. Let me tell you, I have never seen a people become so collectively animated over a single nickname. They seemed to think that this was the best name ever! Thus, from that point I was referred to as "The Lobster" (quite thankfully the "Sandwich" dropped off). The name did not just stick with my immediate friends who were there on that fateful "Smallville Night" (for which an explanation is sure to come later), yet it traveled to work so that my coworkers then referred to me as Lobster, as well as my friends up in an entirely different city. So that is where I find the inspiration for my "lobster tails". These postings will most certainly lack continuity other than they are all either random happenings, thoughts or perhaps the occasional epiphanic happening.

posted by Libby @ 10:20 PM 0 comments