Tuesday, July 29, 2008

POSSUM.BLOGSPOT.COM - 2 Posts - Friends Forever



Thursday, July 26, 2001
This possum continues to inhabit my, and several other, back yards, but has turned out to be a delight rather than a pest.

After doing some research, I found out that possums (1) do not carry rabies, in fact their metabolism is set up to REJECT rabies--one has a higher risk from a dog, cat, racoon, or HUMAN bite than from a possum

(2) Possums eat all the icky vermin: mice, roaches, ants, slugs, etc. So they're like little bio-vacuum cleaners.

(3) My cats get along with the possum and don't attack it, even when it comes in the back door to eat their food. They, evidently, think it's another cat and part of the "family." The cats don't like squirrels, though. Felix and Rodentia families just don't mix.

More later
posted by JZahn at 8:15 AM

Friday, June 01, 2001
An opossum has adopted me. Well, at least he/she has adopted my house.

I live in a brownstone in Jersey City an have a back yard garden. I often leave the door to the garden open so my three cats can enjoy the outdoors in the fenced-in garden. The cats are smart enough not to stray from the back yard, because they know where their food is, and they are would HATE to find the door shut.

Anyhow, recently, we have had a 'possum visitor.

posted by JZahn at 11:59 PM

Blog Archive